January 12, 2009

United Parcel Service

Did anyone else in the world have trouble with UPS shipping this past Christmas? Or was it just the Washington/Oregon areas? This had to have been the worst season yet for receiving packages by way of the United Parcel Service or Federal Express, and quite frankly, I don’t understand it.

Okay…granted I’m originally from Arizona and have only lived in Washington State for just over two years, but isn’t Washington notorious for having a bit of “bad weather” during the winter? About two weeks before Christmas, we got a lovely little snowfall of a couple of feet. So maybe Washington isn’t quite as familiar with massive snowstorms, but come on now! How could UPS justifiably delay package delivery? We had no problem getting our mail during that time from the Postal Service, so again…just how does UPS justify not delivering packages because of “adverse weather conditions” in an area which usually has “adverse weather conditions” in the winter, and especially when UPS is so much more expensive than the Post Office?

My husband ordered me a Christmas present on the 15th of December and paid for EXPEDITED shipping via UPS. That expedited package didn’t arrive until January 2nd! Hey, how’s that for quick delivery? It actually sat in the UPS warehouse in a town only 20 miles away, from December 23rd until January 2nd. Wow! Great service, guys! “What can BROWN do for you?” How about deliver a friggin' package! We received about 5 post-Christmas packages that were all meant to be under the tree.

Now, don’t get me wrong. I totally appreciate all the hard work and extra hours that UPS puts in trying to ensure timely delivery during the holiday season year after year. BUT…in today’s economy, I can’t afford to pay for a service that doesn’t deliver…literally. Next year, I think I’ll stick to the good old reliable Post Office. Or at least have my online Christmas shopping done by July!

1 comment: