January 15, 2009

East versus West

With the playoffs going on right now, I think I’d really like to bitch about the Super Bowl from 2006. That was when Seattle played against Pittsburgh AND the guys in the striped shirts! That was one of the most disgusting displays of favoritism I had ever seen. And the media coverage was just as bad! It absolutely infuriates me that the East Coast teams are the media darlings. So, in my opinion, Pittsburgh had already won the game before they stepped on the field. The refs made damn sure of that!

I didn’t see close to the volume of news coverage for Seattle as I did for Pittsburgh. Everything was Pittsburgh this and Pittsburgh that…now why do you think that was? It’s because the media thinks that the East Coast teams are better money generators than the West Coast teams. Biased, biased, biased. Watch Sports Center one night…all the analyzers on that show favor one East Coast team or another.

I am not a sports fan in any sense of the word, but I can certainly tell when a hard-working team gets the shaft, as Seattle did that year, in ALL respects. This year, I would have loved to see Arizona and San Diego go to the Super Bowl – although had you listened to the media experts, neither of these teams should have even made it past the first round! Both are from the West Coast, and that would have thrown a huge monkey wrench in the press favorites! But had that actually happened, I’m sure the biased sportscasters would have found a way to dominate coverage for the East Coast regardless, with some dreadful ditty on the never-ending retirement decision from Brett Favre (which we can all look forward to again this year), or about poor Tom Brady’s injury that took him out for two years or something, or for that matter, the constant monotony about how New England should have been in the playoffs despite not qualifying, blah blah blah…

One final note…I personally don’t care who wins the Super Bowl in 2009 as long as they live west of the Mississippi! So turn up the heat, Arizona, and do the West Coast proud!

No comments:

Post a Comment